PADI Open Water Diver Certification has three parts:
- Classroom OR eLearning teaches about equipment, safety and dive planning.
- Confined Water (or pool) Dives develop basic scuba skills and Watermanship Assessment consisting of a 10 minute tread or float and a 300 yard mask/fin/snorkel swim.
- Open Water Dives where you'll demonstrate the scuba skills you learned in Confined Water but in an Open Water environment such as a lake, quarry or ocean.
You will need your own Scuba quality mask, fins, snorkel and boots. This is basic gear that you will take with you wherever you go Scuba diving. Snorkel fins are not allowed.
If you like the water and adventure, you can probably become a PADI diver. Keep in mind the following:
- You will need to fill out a medical form. Sometimes a doctor's approval is required before you can begin the class.
- You must know how to swim. You don't have to be a great swimmer but you should be comfortable.
- There is homework. You will need to read the PADI Open Water Manual, complete the knowledge reviews and watch the DVD. Books are included in the course fee. You also have the option of doing the PADI eLearning for an additional charge.
- Minimum age for the group classes is 12 years old. See the Youth flyer for children ages 10-11.
Underwater Safaris options for the class/confined water portion of the Open Water Class:
- Evening Group Class-$235. Complete all of the class/pool in 4 evenings, 630PM-1030PM.
- Option 1: Mon/Wed program for 2 weeks
- Option 2: Tue/Thur program for 2 weeks
- Weekend Group Class-$285. Complete all the class/pool in one weekend. Meets Sat & Sun, 10AM-6PM.
- Private Class-$450. Create your own schedule. Each additional person $325.00.
- SLAM Scuba-$500. One day program for divers with previous scuba experience. Additional person $400.00
OPEN WATER CLASS/POOL DATES THROUGH 2017:
Mon-Wed (630p-1030p) $235. Start Dates:
2017: Feb. 20; Mar. 6, 20; Apr. 3, 17; May 1, 15, *31; Jun. 12, **26; Jul. 10, 24; Aug. 7, 21; Sept. ***6, 18; Oct. 2, 16, 30; Nov. 13, 27; Dec. 11
*May 31, 2017 Wed/Fri-Mon/Wed due Memorial Day
**June 26, 2017 Mon/Wed-Wed/Fri due Independence Day
***Sept. 6, 2017 Wed/Fri-Mon/Wed due Labor Day
Tue-Thur (630p-1030p) $235. Start Dates:
2017: Feb. 21; Mar. 7, 21; Apr. 4, 18; May 2, 16, 30; Jun. 13, *27; Jul. 11, 25; Aug. 8, 22; Sept. 5, 19; Oct. 3, 17, 31; Nov. **14, 28; Dec. 12
*June 27, 2017 Tue/Thur/FRI/Thur due Independence Day
**Nov. 14, 2017 Tue/Thur/FRI/Tue due Thanksgiving
Weekend program, Sat & Sun, $285. 10AM-6PM:
2017: Feb. 18&19-SOLD OUT; Mar. 4&5-SOLD OUT, 11&12-JUST ADDED, 18-19; April 1-2, 8-9, 22-23; May 13-14; Jun. 3-4, 17-18; Jul. 8-9, 22-23; Aug. 5-6, 19-20; Sept. 9-10, 23-24; Oct. 7-8, 21-22; Nov. 4-5, 18-19; Dec. 2-3, 9-10
Underwater Safaris options for Open Water Certification Dives:
- Local Group Open Water Dives: $250.00 on Weekends at Haigh Quarry, Kankakee, IL
- Private Local Dives: $475.00 at Haigh Quarry, Kankakee, IL
- Referral Dives: Referral included at no cost so you can can do your dives at any PADI Dive Center worldwide. Prices vary. Dives also available on some Underwater Safaris Trips.
PADI eLearning is a Premium option for the Open Water Class and is NOT mandatory. Instead of book and dvd, complete the classroom portion online at home, the office or on an airplane! Cost is an additional $179.00 payable directly to PADI. eLearning reduces class time by up to 6 hours and you can start TODAY! Register online at uwsafaris.com. Class price same as above. Includes the PADI Enhancement package and a $25.00 store merchandise credit. eLearning available for Weekend, Private and SLAM classes.
The Fine Print:
- Besides basic Scuba gear you'll need to bring a swimsuit and towel to class. Oh yeah, and your books!
- You may register by phone, online, or in person. Register early as space is limited. In order to keep our class prices low, no refunds on classes or Open Water Dives. There is a $50.00 fee to change class dates.
- Makeup and remedial time is $50.00 per hour. Fees are forfeited for no-shows.
- Classes are performance based and group class times can run longer or shorter.
LOCAL OPEN WATER DIVES AT HAIGH QUARRY WITH UNDERWATER SAFARIS $250:
2016: Oct. 1-2, 15-16
2017: May 20-21; June 10-11, 24-25; July 15-16, 29-30; Aug. 12-13, 26-27; Sept. 16-17, 30-Oct. 1; Oct. 14-15
To sign up please call us at 773-348-3999 or Click Here to signup online.
Jr. Scuba Diver: Divers must complete Modules 1-3 class & pool divers and Open Water Dives 1-2. All ages must dive with a PADI professional. Maximum depth is 40ft and they must dive with a PADI professional.
Jr. Open Water Diver: Divers must complete full PADI Open Water Class & Pool & all 4 PADI Open Water Dives:
10-11 year old divers must dive with a parent, guardian or PADI Professional. Maximum depth 40 Ft.
12-14 year old divers must dive with certified adult. Maximum depth 60 feet.
15 year old divers and up are considered “adult” divers.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Because of the physical requirements of Scuba diving and handling of Scuba equipment, a junior diver must weigh a minimum of 95 lbs and be at least 5 feet tall and 12 years old to participate in a group class at Underwater Safaris. Junior divers who do not fit the physical and/or age require-ments may take the Scuba lessons privately.
EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS: Wetsuits are provided for student divers in our pool. Junior divers below the height and weight requirements listed above will need to purchase a well-fitting wetsuit. All junior divers must provide their own, Scuba quality mask, fins and snorkel. Strap fins, boots and full wetsuits are strongly recommended as junior divers get cold quickly. If Junior divers choose to do certification dives locally, they may be required to provide their own 7mm suits.
ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS: Junior divers must show they have the maturity and aptitude to comprehend dive related concepts in the PADI Scuba course taught at Underwater Safaris. For this reason, they will be held to the same performance requirements as adults in the classroom, pool & open water dives. Junior divers who fail to complete their homework prior to class will be assessed the same $25.00 remedial fee as adults. All releases and medical forms must be signed by both the student and a parent or legal guardian prior to the first day of class. The Youth Diver Responsibility and Risk Acknowledgment must be signed and the Youth Diver DVD must be watched by all 10 & 11 year old divers and their parent or legal guardian.
PRIVATE $450.00: Since our regular group classes will have up to 8 students and due to STRICT PADI instructor to student ratios, 10 & 11 year old students must take the class privately*! Each additional adult taking the class is $325.00 per person. If two or more youths (10-14 years old) take the class together, the cost is $450.00 per person.
Weekend Group Class $285.00: Complete class/pool in one weekend. Must be at least 12 years old and meet the above height and weight requirement.
Weeknight Group $235.00: Complete class/pool in four nights, either our Mon/Wed or Tue/Thur class. Must be at least 12 years old and meet the above height and weight requirement.
Open Water Dives $250.00: Students 12 and older who meet the height/weight requirement may join the regular group Open Water Weekend however again, due to STRICT PADI instructor/student ratios, 10 & 11 year old students must do their Open Water Dives Privately*! Cost for private Open Water Dives conducted the same afternoon as regularly scheduled Open Water Weekends are $325.00 (discounts available on this price for families).
*PADI Standards state the student instructor ratio for 10 & 11 year old divers is 4:1 with no more than two children in the group.